Published: Wed, March 01, 2017
USA | By Angel Wallace

Father of slain SEAL admits he didn't want to meet Trump

Father of slain SEAL admits he didn't want to meet Trump

"Don't hide behind my son's death to prevent an investigation".

President Donald Trump might support an investigation into last month's USA raid in Yemen that killed several al Qaeda militants but also left a Navy SEAL and several civilians dead, the White House said on Sunday.

Owens insists that the raid went down too soon into Donald Trump's presidency, even though it had been planned for months during the Obama administration. "Why? For two years prior, there were no boots on the ground in Yemen - everything was missiles and drones - because there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?" he said.

Owens refused to meet with Trump when his son's remains were returned to Dover Air Force Base because "my conscience wouldn't let me talk to him".

A senior Congressional official briefed on the matter told NBC News that the Trump administration has yet to explain what prompted the operation. If he knows it to be true that the Yemen raid provided little of real intelligence value, would he say so publicly? Ryan was a Navy SEAL who died during a US raid on a suspected al-Qaeda compound in January.

The Yemen raid, which the White House has said was meant to gather intelligence, immediately came under scrutiny for resulting in the first combat death under Trump's presidency.

At a news briefing this month, White House press secretary Sean Spicer repeatedly called the raid "a huge success" and said that anyone who said otherwise does "a disservice" to the Navy SEAL who lost his life in the hostilities.

Trump went on to say that he could understand why Owens's father would not want to meet with them since there is "nothing worse" than losing a son.

At the request of Bill Owens and his family, no media or any bystanders were allowed to attend the ceremony.

"I can't possibly imagine what he's going through in terms of the loss of a son", Spicer responded. "The mission was successful in helping prevent a future attack or attacks on this nation".

Since there was a loss of life, Spicer said three Department of Defense reviews will be carried out as standard operating procedure. "They are all still in progress and we need to give those a chance to be completed and reviewed", before any additional investigation will be launched.

It's been described as a mission in which "almost everything went wrong", a dynamic made more complicated by USA military officials suggesting to Reuters that Trump approved the mission "without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations".

Like this: