Published: Fri, March 17, 2017
World | By Carl Welch

Month-old dies after babysitter couldn't reach 911

Month-old dies after babysitter couldn't reach 911

A so-called ghost-call technology glitch in the emergency call system in Dallas may have caused the death of a six month old infant after a caregiver using T-Mobile cell phone service was unable to reach 911 dispatchers, said city officials on Wednesday.

"DPD is investigating the death and no additional information can be released, as this case is under investigation".

- The city of Dallas now says the problems plaguing its 911 system have not been "ghost calls" but instead calls being abandoned by people who dial in. CBS Dallas-Fort Worth spoke with Mayor Mike Rawlings about his frustration and the danger the situation poses for residents. No 911 operator called back, as protocol requires. The babysitter called 911 multiple times and was on the line for as long as 31 minutes. The FCC said its investigators found that T-Mobile did not notify affected 911 call centers in a timely manner and that better safeguards in the company's 911 network architecture would have prevented the outages.

The sitter was left on hold for a shocking total of 41 minutes and 10 seconds. "There's nothing they can say to heal the pain that's in my heart that I have to bury my six month old son on Monday".

The 40-year-old babysitter called 911 at 5:55 p.m. and again at 5:57 but was put on hold each time.

The update did not explain why the call surges are happening, but the city is adding more people to answer the phones.

While no other carriers appear to be experiencing the "ghost calls" issue, AT&T wireless customers also reported having trouble contacting 911 in Dallas and other Texas cities on March 8. Operators then need to return each call, slowing down the system.

Brandon's babysitter made three 911 calls but never got through. "I'm so hurt", said his mother, Bridget Alex.

His mother says it's too little, too late for her son.

"We will stay on this until it is fully resolved and everybody can rest comfortably that when they call 911 and they call for an emergency request for help, it will be addressed immediately", said David Carey, executive vice president for T-Mobile. She was still on hold when Bridget took him to the hospital. "It took me to lose my son for y'all to call extra people, extra techs to be here", she said yesterday, according to NBC 5 in Dallas. The cause of death remains undetermined, CNN reports. Cross was pronounced dead at the hospital within the hour. "Because at the end of the day, my son was still breathing, but had they come out like they were supposed to, my son would still be here in my arms".

Like this: