Published: Fri, March 17, 2017
World | By Carl Welch

Two injured in French school shooting, teenage boy arrested

Two injured in French school shooting, teenage boy arrested

In a shocking incident on Thursday, a man opened fire in a high school in Grasse, France injuring people present at the spot.

"I turned and saw someone in the yard with a shotgun firing", Alexis de Tocqueville student Benjamin, 16, told French newspaper Nice-Matin.

A heavily armed pupil injured his head teacher and seven other people during a shooting at a French high school yesterday, rattling nerves in a country repeatedly the target of jihadist attacks, police and officials said.

By mid-afternoon, Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said all students at the school were safe.

The incident comes with France in a state of emergency after several militants attacks over the previous year.

Christian Estrosi, president of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region, told France Info radio that the headmaster suffered non-life-threatening injuries, The Guardian of the United Kingdom reported.

Another police source it was not yet possible to confirm if there was a second shooter.

Witnesses interviewed by local television described a scene of panic as the gunman entered the canteen with students rushing to hide under tables or sprinting for the exit.

Employees were evacuated from the building near the Arc de Triomphe monument in the heart of the capital "as a precaution", a police source said.

He said it's too early to know the motives for the attack, which came as France is under a state of emergency after a string of deadly Islamic extremist attacks over the past two years.

The French national government sent out a regional alert warning of the attack at the high school after local police reported shots had been fired.

France - which is in the middle of a presidential campaign ahead of elections in six weeks time - has been hit by a series of attacks by Islamist groups in the last few years that have killed scores of people.

As part of the alert, police urged residents to stay indoors.

The French government had already bolstered security outside after following the series of jihadist attacks since January 2015 that have claimed hundreds of lives.

Like this: