Published: Sat, March 18, 2017
Culture | By Ray Hoffman

Google On YouTube Ad Boycott: "We Can Do A Better Job"

Google On YouTube Ad Boycott:

According to a report by United Kingdom publication The Times, government-funded advertising has appeared in front of extremist videos on YouTube.

Harris said 400 hours of video was uploaded to YouTube every minute, adding that a year ago Google removed almost two billion "bad ads" from its systems, removed over 100,000 publishers from its AdSense programme and prevented adverts from serving on over 300m YouTube videos.

French advertising group Havas denied on Friday that it would pull advertising from Google platforms, contradicting comments attributed to the head of its British business after Britain raised concerns over government advertising on the US company's YouTube website.

A spokesman for the Guardian, which was promoting its membership scheme, said it was "completely unacceptable" for its ads to be placed with hate-filled videos.

Both state-owned brands such as the Royal Navy, Transport For London and the BBC and commercial brands such as Sainsbury's, Argos and the Guardian have found themselves associated with hate speech because of the way Google automatically allocates advertising. Earlier this week, Germany threatened to fine social media outlets like Facebook $53 million if they do not allow users to complain about posts containing hate-speech or fake news and if the company didn't work to remove illegal content. Germany first proposed this measure a year ago and mostly targeted the publishing of fake news stories on social media.

Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ:GOOGL), the parent company of Google and YouTube, just released a statement in response to a wave of advertisers pulling their ads from YouTube after discovering they were being displayed alongside extremist and inappropriate content.

The move comes as tech companies like Google and Facebook try to grapple with their outsize influence in media and politics.

In a blog post published on Friday morning, Google's UK MD, Ronan Harris, said Google "can do a better job" to address inappropriately monetised videos and content.

Nicklin said it took a week to track down the origins of the ad (pictured below) and found it came via Google Adwords - slipping through any blocks put in place by Google's advertising service.

"We accept that we don't always get it right, and that sometimes, ads appear where they should not", she added.

The government suspended advertising on Thursday, citing "pending reassurances".

Google and YouTube will revamp their ad policies. "Google is now an active member of JICWEBS' brand safety committee - the Display Trading Standards Group - so we will work with them (and all the other members) to help reduce the risk of ad misplacement".

A United Kingdom government spokesman told the Guardian that the government had put a hold on any advertising with Google or YouTube, and that a Google representative had been "summoned for discussions" to explain the situation and its proposed remedy.

Like this: