Published: Fri, April 21, 2017
World | By Carl Welch

Boko Haram plot to attack U.S. and United Kingdom embassies is foiled

Boko Haram plot to attack U.S. and United Kingdom embassies is foiled

Ahead of the third anniversary of the abduction of nearly 300 children in Nigeria by Boko Haram, a group that claimed allegiance to Daesh terrorist organization (outlawed in Russia), a number of United Nations human rights experts have made a new appeal to the Nigerian Government to take all measures necessary to rescue the 195 girls still missing.

In a statement issued by Tony Opuiyo, the premier security outfit said it prevented the fatal attacks between the 25th and 26th March, 2017, halting the malevolent gangs based in Benue State and the FCT, from striking.

Spokesman Col. Toure Abdoul Aziz said the Ministry of Defense, in the name of the president, congratulated security forces for gains against Nigerian-based Boko Haram extremists, whose seven-year insurgency has killed at least 20,000 people.

Nigeria's president late previous year declared the Boko Haram insurgency 'crushed, ' but its fighters continue to threaten the vast region around Lake Chad in defiance of a multinational force.

Government forces are intensifying aerial and ground patrols in the country's northeast. Boko Haram has been appointing young girls for carrying out the attacks mostly.

The Department of State Services (DSS) says it foiled an attempt by Boko Haram insurgents to bomb the United Kingdom and U.S. embassies in Abuja.

One 16-year-old girl from Chad lost her legs after being drugged and forced by Boko Haram to take part in an attempted suicide attack on a crowded market, according to UNICEF's report.

On Monday, Nigeria's military released 593 people, including children, after clearing them of having ties with Boko Haram.

The use of infants or the strategy of situating explosives to look like an infant in suicide attacks dates back years.

"The children are victims, they are not perpetrators, and that's a very important fact to remember", Delvigne-Jean said. A few of the abducted girls who managed to escape told Human Rights Watch, an global human rights organization, that "they and many other female captives were subjected to abuses including forced marriage and rape".

So far, 117 children have been used to carry out bomb attacks in public places across Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon since 2014.

Senior U.S. officials said Buhari had long expressed frustration over delays in the sale and raised it in a phone call with Trump in February.

Twenty-two Nigerian girls and women were abducted by the terror group Boko Haram. This led to the detention past year of 1,500 young people in Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger and Chad.

Like this: