Published: Sun, August 13, 2017
Sport | By Scott Davis

Coutinho hands in transfer request

Coutinho hands in transfer request

Early on Friday morning, a significant statement of intent was made by Liverpool as the club's owners claimed that they would not be entertaining any offers for playmaker Philippe Coutinho.

Having swiftly turned down two bids from the Catalan club for the Brazil worldwide - the last of which totalled €100 million - Fenway Sports Group have supported Jurgen Klopp's repeated insistence that the 25-year-old is not for sale this summer at any cost.

Liverpool have been firm in their view throughout a story that has ran for the last month that the Brazil worldwide would not be sold this summer.

"Liverpool is not a club that has to sell players".

Liverpool launched their PR offensive at the same time as Sky Sports News reported a member of Coutinho's family had released a statement stating the player's case.

Barcelona want Coutinho to replace Neymar following his compatriot's 222 million-euro transfer to PSG last week.

He said: "As a player, it's very hard to turn down Barcelona or Real Madrid".

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp has always maintained that Coutinho, who signed a new five-and-a-half-year contract in January, will not be sold under any circumstances.

Klopp also dismissed the notion that it is his responsibility to keep Coutinho happy at Anfield.

"From a financial standpoint, there is no price limit to let him go or a price that we are ready to give in".

"Our goal is to have the best possible team".

In a statement on Friday, the club's owners said its "definitive stance" was that "no offers will be considered". That is set in stone.

Barcelona had a bid of around £90million for the Brazil worldwide rejected by the Reds on Wednesday.

As well as being unavailable for Liverpool's league campaign-opener at Vicarage Road, Coutinho is a doubt for Tuesday's Champions League qualifying play-off first leg against Hoffenheim in Germany.

Like this: